10 months ago
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Polish or English?
We were at my brother's house a few weeks ago and his friends and their baby boy were there as well. Alek went crazy over their baby, who is a month younger, because he was just his size. Alek was jibber jabbering to their baby and Rafal was speaking to Alek in Polish as he always does. After we left my brother's friend asked what language Rafal was speaking to Alek. He told her "Polish." Then she asked if Alek was going to know English. My brother told her "Yes." Her final question was if he was going to have an accent like Rafal when he spoke. My brother said "No." It was so funny when he was telling me this because my 4 year old niece is also very concerned that she won't be able to understand Alek because he will not speak English, or Kid as she sometimes calls it. We explained to her that Alek will speak Polish and English so she will be able to understand him. Before Rafal and I even found out I was pregnant, we discussed how it was important that our kids be bilingual, so that they can speak to their Grandma and Grandpa Hajdo who only speak Polish. So Rafal speaks to Alek in Polish and I speak to him in English. In the process, I am also learning some Polish, but sometimes Rafal won't tell me what he's saying because he says it's between him and Alek. I do understand Polish better than I can speak it and for some reason I am able to remember all of the bad words. When Alek gets older, he better not try and say any of those because I will understand and he'll be in big trouble!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
lol i will make sure that I teach him ALL the bad words! Oh burn!!
Amber,
I just found your blog from Hilary Larson's. Your baby is darling. Are you staying home? I think I remember Kristin telling me that you weren't at Orem anymore. It is fun to see your little family! :)
I think it's a great idea to speak both languages to him at such a young age. That's when it's easiest to learn!
Well... do it. Peter speaks 3 languages fluently and I speak 2...our kids speak 1.
We failed. Big time.
Post a Comment