Sunday, February 8, 2009

Busy Week

It has been a very busy and tiring week. It all began with a rash. Alek had a fever for 2 days because his teeth were trying to break through. The good news is they finally broke through. The bad news is he ended up with a rash that began on his head and spread to his tummy and back.

On Monday, we went to the doctor's office. I suspected the rash was Roseoli and the doctor agreed. However, she decided to take a strep test and surprisingly it came back positive. So Alek is taking Amoxicillin for the next 10 days.

On Wednesday, I started watching my nephew Ryker. He is one month old and so cute. Alek really struggled with this because he didn't have me all to himself. When I would hold Ryker and feed him, Alek would try and take his bottle out of his mouth and then wave bye-bye to him. I guess he thought if he waved bye-bye, Ryker would go away, but of course it didn't work. At one point Alek was waving both hands as hard as he could. If Ryker cried, then Alek cried. If Alek cried, then Ryker cried. I was feeling quite overwhelmed and didn't realize it would be so difficult. Thank goodness my sister Brianna came over and helped out. She is a lifesaver and I appreciate her help so much. I know that it will take Alek some time to adjust to having Ryker here, but eventually he'll get used to it. Although it's hard for him he is still sweet to Ryker, always giving him kisses and helping me pat his back when he needs to be burped.

On Thursday, I tried "tough love" and it was very unsuccessful. Alek woke up from his nap after 45 minutes. I was still getting ready, so I decided to let him cry. Then after I finished getting ready I decided to see if he would eventually go back to sleep. He cried for an hour and a half. He stood at the end of his crib the whole time and would cry hard, then calm down and even stop for a minute then start up again. It was so hard to listen to him and not go and comfort him. When I finally went into his room, he cried with relief for a couple of minutes and then was fine. Now he hates his crib. Every time I tried to put him in his crib that day, he woke up immediately and started crying again. He's been sleeping with us every night, but before now would usually start out in his crib. Now, I'm lucky if I can get him to sleep in his crib at all.

On Saturday, we celebrated Addie's 5th birthday. We went bowling. Although Alek is too little to bowl, he sure loved playing with the bowling balls. He would roll them back and forth and squeal with delight. We had a fun time, even though Rafal and I are pretty horrible bowlers. That night I started to feel sick like I was getting the flu. Hopefully I'll feel better because I certainly can't watch Alek and Ryker if I'm feeling terrible.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Tough love at such a young age? Haha... actually, good luck. He is so dang cute I would have a horrible time following through with ANY tough love on Alek.

P.s., Get THEE on Facebook! Julie posted some fun pics from your nanny days.