Monday, January 12, 2009

10 Months and Almost Walking

Alek is officially 10 months, but we just went to his 9 month check up this week. Since we had been to the doctor's office so frequently (4 times in 2 months) they wanted us to reschedule his appointment until after the holidays. He now weighs 21 pounds 5 ounces, is 29 1/2 inches tall, and has a head circumference of 46 centimeters. He is in the 50th percentile for weight, the 75th percentile for height (Yeah, he may not always be a shorty), and the 60th percentile for head circumference. He had to have his iron tested as well as 2 shots. He didn't cry for any of them. I was so surprised. He usually cries for a few seconds, but this time he didn't even make a sound. What a tough little guy. Alek is crawling, pulling himself up on everything, climbing up the stairs, and even taking steps on his own. He took 10 steps by himself the other day. He's getting so brave that he'll pull himself up on something and then let go and start walking on his own. It is making us (mostly me) so nervous and we have to make sure we're right there to catch him if he falls, but he is doing great and we're so proud. He is so busy and now so mobile, it's hard to keep up with him. He's eating 3 meals a day, although with his ear infections and his teeth trying to come in, he's not too interested in eating sometimes. We have to be creative and entertaining to get him to take more than a couple of bites. He does however want to try anything and everything that we are eating. He's taking 2 good naps a day and is usually a happy little guy. He's still not sleeping through the night, but I think that is partly my fault. When I told the doctor that he was still waking up about 3 times a night, he said that I need to practice some tough love and let him cry it out. I am such a pushover when it comes to my little Alek, and Rafal is even worse, that we always get him up when he cries. Sometimes he wants to eat and other times he just wants to sleep with Rafal and I. He loves to snuggle with us when it's bedtime or naptime. All other times of the day, he's too busy playing to take time and snuggle, so we take it when we can get it. I guess we'll have to try out the tought love and see what happens. My doctor said that Alek knows that we'll come to him immediately, so he continues to do it. We've trained him well I guess. We are having so much fun with him and are loving all the new things he can do.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

SUPER impressive!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a big deal. He'll be off and running now!

Caren and Dustin Robison said...

I can't believe he's walking! It seems like just the other day you brought him in and he was still just a little newborn. He is so dang cute! I think he needs to make another visit to OES.

Rhonda said...

Elijah was walking at 10 months and there was no slowing him down either... Alek is so dang cute. I was the same way with my kids with the sleeping with us. Of course, I was always so tired...that it was all I could do was let them sleep with me or be a zombie.

mostly Stacy said...

I cant believe he is almost walking!