Sunday, October 19, 2008

Relief Society

As I was sitting in church and looking around I realized that there are so many babies in our ward about the same age as Alek and most of them are boys. I also realized that after four years in this ward, I only know a few people. Our ward is quite transient because there are a lot of twin homes and rentals so there are new people moving in constantly. I live in a cul-de-sac and so I really only know the neighbors that also live in the cul-de-sac, which include my parents who live across the street. It never really mattered to me to get to know people before because Rafal and I were both busy with work during the week and on the weekends we usually spent time with my parents or alone. Now that we have Alek and I'm home everyday, I need to get to know some people in our ward so that Alek will have someone to play with and I will have someone to talk to. So, I decided that I would go to Relief Society and figure out who these people are that I see every week. When I lived in Connecticut, I went to Relief Society every week and I really enjoyed it. Since I've been in Utah, I haven't been very often. I was in the nursery for awhile, then once I got pregnant, I was so sick and uncomfortable that I barely made it through sacrament, and now I have Alek and three hours of church is a lot for both of us. But today, I gave Relief Society a try and it was great! I must have been inspired to go on this particular Sunday because the lesson helped me out a lot. It was about Joseph Smith and all the trials and tribulations that he and his family went through. The day after he had tar poured all over him, he still showed up to church. I admire his faith and willingness to serve the Lord. So, I decided that if he can show up to church after such an ordeal, I can make it through Sacrament and Relief Society each week. I might even go to Sunday School.....if Alek's not conveniently taking a nap during that time.

5 comments:

mostly Stacy said...

I thinks it's hard to go to releif society after not going for a while so yeah for Amber! I have a hard time with the balance of wanting to remain anonymous so I can just show up and then leave, and wanting to be be super involved. I think your RF leaders should snag you and give you some calling that would take advantage of your organization.

Raven said...

I think I like RS better in the family wards than in the single ones. At least lately. I find myself trying so hard to stay awake and pay attention. However, I usually end up texting during that class. It's just that the teachers aren't the most exciting!

Kristina said...

This is Kristina (from Rafal's work). Rafal so proudly shows me your blog and how Alek is growing, I love it! I can only imagine how hard it must be to make it to church each week. We're expecting our first, due in March, and I keep having fears that there will be no one to talk to when I quit work. Hooray for relief society... even if the lesson is boring it's fun to talk to the other ladies!

Courtney said...

I TOTALLY understand the Relief Society dilema! It's always so great, but Ethan always manages to have a melt down right at the first of it making me think that it may be better to go home so he can just have a nap and so I don't have to wrestle with him. But you're smart-- find him some little R.S. friends.... find yourself some R.S. friends... and stay. Like you, when I do stay and try to listen, the lesson is always for me!

Rhonda said...

Oh Amber, I miss you and wish you were back in our Ward sitting next to me!