Friday, September 4, 2009

Potty Time

A couple of weeks ago Alek started expressing some interest in the toilet, not just to put his hand in or flush it, but to actually sit on it. One day he climbed up on the toilet with the lid down and sat there for a few seconds then ripped off some toilet paper and wiped himself. I thought it was so cute that I asked him if he wanted to go potty. We took off his diaper and he sat there for a while, got some toilet paper, wiped, then flushed the toilet. After that, he kept wanting to go potty again. I let him sit on the toilet several times and although he never went, he was having fun and I wanted to encourage this interest in the toilet. If he wants to potty train early, I'm all for it. After all, that would mean no more diapers. I bought him his own Royal Potty which plays four royal tunes as a reward. It has a sensor and so when they do something in their potty, the music plays. Alek thinks it's great. He's been sitting on it and pretending everyday a couple of times a day and then today, he actually peed on the potty. The music started playing and I started cheering. He kept smiling and then had to see what he did. I think it was just luck that he peed on the potty because once he got off he also peed a little bit on the floor and then again on the potty, so he doesn't know yet when he's all done. So we'll see how it goes. If he's not ready yet, that's fine because he's still so young, but I definitely didn't want to discourage his interest, especially because boys usually potty train much later and it can sometimes be very difficult.

Alek on his Royal Potty

Alek on theToilet

2 comments:

Courtney said...

We are on the same potty adventure right now! Glad that Alec had an "accident" in the potty. We visit the potty 6+ times a day HOPING and WAITING for an "accident!"

Rhonda said...

Oh,I know I am a little late on this post...BUT, Elijah was my easiest and trained at 22 months. I was THRILLED! He kind of did it on his own.